Magazine_logo_black

Large_left_arrow Large_right_arrow

Insider Talk: Being Gay at Target

dot429 Exclusive

Daniel Duty is the Director of Enterprise Strategy at Target.  In 1992, Duty was appointed by Target's CEO as a cosponsor of the company's LGBT business council.  Duty provides an insider's perspective on being gay at Target and how the company overcame public and media backlash for supporting a candidate that opposed gay rights.

What is it like to be gay at Target?  What is the general attitude towards LGBT people?

Duty: It's funny that you ask that question.  I couldn't imagine working anywhere else as a gay person.  I've had a fantastic career here for the last 10 years.  I started many, many pay grades below where I am today.  Target has been nothing but supportive of me and my career.  As an out gay man who has been advocating very intentionally both inside and outside the company for inclusiveness, the only things that I've gotten back from Target are praise, reward, and support.  And you could hear that story from people across this company, because I talk to them all the time.

It's really a great place to work - you can be out, you can be open, and most people are.  We have several top executives in the company who are openly gay.  The fact that we are such a community-oriented company feels good, because Target is spending lots of money on GLBT issues and organizations.  The company is supporting us every day, as employees, to go out in the community and be volunteers for gay organizations and causes.  We have celebrations here in the headquarter buildings.  In some ways, we don't think about it all that much, because it is so easy.  You don't have to pretend to be anyone else, you are who you are, and that's widely accepted throughout this organization, from the top down.

Did the company turn to you during the public and media backlash against Target?  Did the company seek the advice of the LGBT business council?

Duty: Yes, actually, I think I got one of the first calls when that news broke.  Really, the great thing about the business councils and how they are used here at Target is that the company does rely on them.  They really respect their opinion on how to handle different  issues.  So, not only did it feel good, but it was natural for our top executives at Target to call the GLBT business council in that situation and say, "This happened, it wasn't our intent, but help us think this through--how do we handle this?"

What was your immediate advice?

Duty: My immediate advice was to understand what had happened and what the facts were.  A lot of what we talked about was to continue to do what we already do so well, which was showing the community that Target is not only a huge supporter of not only its GLBT team members, but also a huge supporter of our community and the issues that are important to us.  We talked a lot about how to continue down that path and even enhance it where we thought there was opportunity.

What was the insider response from the LGBT employees at Target?  Did you come together to work through this?

Duty: We definitely came together to work through it.  I think there was a lot of surprise, quite frankly, because we know internally what a great place Target is to work at.  It was hard for us to fathom that all these people on the outside were saying that Target had done something terribly wrong, that it was not supportive of the GLBT community when, in fact, we knew very differently.  So, the response internally, from both the GLBT team members and straight members in the company, was one of a little bit of surprise and "How can we make this right, how can we assure people that we are the company that we say we are and the company we've been living day to day."

I would say there was a huge coming together of not only the business council team members, but other executives throughout the company.  They were saying to us, "How can we help?  What can we do?  This is not Target."  I think we felt really good about the company response.  And what Target did so well, and I think what made us feel so good, was that the first thing Target was concerned about was the team members.  The first concern wasn't "How do we send a message to the outside world?".  It was "How do we ensure our own people feel good about us and that we are going to live up to the inclusive environment that we always talk about?".

What are the biggest issues on the table right now for the LGBT business council at Target?

Duty: We put together a strategic plan every year for issues we want to focus on.  We divide that plan into two aspects: one is workplace issues and the other is marketplace issues.  The workplace piece of our plan is helping the company think about how to be one of the best places for GLBT team members to work.  When you walk into Target there is a huge sign on the wall that talks about our inclusive culture--that is our core value here at Target.  What we do, as a business council, is help advise the company on how to continue to drive that inclusive culture, especially with regard to GLBT team members.  One of the issues we talk about is benefits.  Target has pretty comprehensive domestic partnership benefits, but there are always new things that we are discovering and thinking about that we bring to the company's attention.  We work with them to make sure we are really getting true inclusiveness for all of our GLBT team members.

The other piece is our marketplace plan, which helps the company understand the GLBT consumer.  What is he/she looking for?  What motivates him/her?  What kind of marketing messages might be important to that community?  We really act as an advisory board to the company on thinking about that GLBT consumer segment.

Do you have any suggestions for people trying to get an LGBT organization started within their company?

Duty: The first step is you have to find each other.  Get together and really talk about what it is that you want to achieve as an ERG or business council.  How do you align your goals and objectives as an ERG with the company's strategies, goals and objectives?  What I have found very powerful, here at Target, is that where we have been able to align our goals with the company's goals, we got to make progress faster.  Talk to the company about how your goals are the same as the company's.

The second piece that I think is important is that it's important to build allies throughout the company.  We have many, many allies in this company, gay and straight, who are supportive of us.   Using them to help spread our message and objectives has been very useful in making things happen.  Having those allies, especially in the executive ranks, is important.

Do you think that the backlash against Target ignited the company to do more for the LGBT community?

Duty: I don't know if it sparked us to do more because we were already doing so much.  We would have pushed the organization to enhance what they were doing no matter what happened.  I feel that the difference between today and yesterday is that we are starting to talk about what we are doing more publicly so that people understand all the great things we've always been doing.

At the end of the day, Target has always been highly invested in the GLBT community.

Written By:
Bryan Moore
Bryan Moore
Tue, Feb 15, 2011
Comments
over 3 years ago

Don't get me wrong--I'm a big Target fan, and I'm glad that there are out and proud LGBT employees at the company. But I found this puff piece to be a bit insulting to anyone in the community who followed this story. Of particular note are the following phrases: 1. "We talked a lot about how to continue down that path and even enhance it where we thought there was opportunity." 2. "How can we make this right, how can we assure people that we are the company that we say we are and the company we've been living day to day" Those statements suggested that Target would actually take some action rather than stand up and say, "Oop. We goofed. Sorry!" And what did they do? Did they donate to a pro-LGBT candidate or organization? Set up a scholarship fund? Organize a day of education? No. They apparently donated to more anti-LGBT candidates (John Kline and Erik Paulsen, of the Tea Party). Sorry, but this is an instance for Mr. Duty would have been better off not saying anything rather than throwing fuel on the fire.

Comment by Don Spradlin
over 3 years ago

I agree with Adam - whatever the company does or did to calm it's LGBT employee base, it certainly didn't listen to them or change its public behavior. Sadly, Target did nothing to make up for it's very public support of political forces that are anti-gay.

Comment by Michael Snell
over 3 years ago

Hmmmm - blah, blah, blah. I must have missed the memo where Target righted the wrong. Most gays in Chicago REFUSE to shop there. They feel like they were slapped in the face. Remember Donna Summer?

Comment by Eric Chaimberg
over 3 years ago

I have not shopped at Target since the initial news surfaced about their decision to support anti-LGBT candidates. By stating that they were supporting a candidate because of his stance on business and economics but ignoring his social positions is not a valid explanation. If his social position had to do with wearing a white sheet and burning crosses, there is no way they could explain that away. Unfortunately, the LGBT community remains a minority that it's still OK to publicly hate. The only way we can show our displeasure is to hit companies where they pay attention - to their bottom line. I used to shop at Target at least once a week but I'd rather pay a little extra and make my purchases elsewhere - at least until their rhetoric matches their actions.

Comment by John Richette
over 3 years ago

I have never been much of a Target fan to begin with but, many of my LGBTQ friends patronize the company's stores. I am unconvinced Target is entirely supportive of our community. Therefore, in order for me to support Target, the company needs to demonstrate it supports the LGBTQ community without reservation.

Comment by Thomas Brown
over 3 years ago

I am interested in knowing how much Target donated to Human Rights Campaign since this issue erupted. For some reason, HRC has seen fit to give Target a high 85 percent score on its gay-friendly business ranking. Unless Target and HRC disclose this information, both will have credibility problems.

over 3 years ago

Well, to give Target some credit, it seems like they are revamping their donation policies: http://www.google.com/reader/view/#stream/user%2F06490721624038160383%2Flabel%2Frainbow Now, this is the sort of thing I'd expect to have been mentioned in an interview like this.

Comment by Luke Gibson
over 3 years ago

Here's an article showing basically the opposite of what the interviewee is claiming. I wish Target would get their act together, so I could return to shopping there again. http://www.queerty.com/target-has-changed-its-corporate-giving-policies-oh-please-dont-believe-this-20110217/

Comment by Tim Brown
over 3 years ago

I agree with most people here. Target did nothing to correct or mitigate their error, so I cannot shop there.

Comment by Felix M Gil
over 3 years ago

I don't like boycotting companies, but in this case I think we must keep up taking a stand as an unified community.

Comment by Matt Baume
over 3 years ago

As an LGBT journalist, I'm still waiting to see evidence that Target has "made things right." To this day, Target's PR people will still not talk to the press about the company's donation policies regarding anti-gay politicians.

Comment by msp_mark
over 3 years ago

I still continue to be surprised when I read comments like this. There’s been a lot of energy and posts over the past 9 months about a donation (that the CEO apologized for) yet no one talks about all of the good this company does for our GLBT community. Perhaps, if you looked at all of the good Target has done for us, you would be singing a different tune. Target continues to be involved with and sponsor a variety of events aimed at making our lives better. In 2010, Target continued sponsorship of the Red Ribbon Ride which raises funds for eight Minnesota-based HIV/AIDS organizations. Last year alone, over $350,000 was raised through the event and Target played a key role through sponsorship and team member involvement. Target was also very public about their support of the Minnesota AIDS Walk again in 2010 as Park Sponsor. Or, possibly you’ve heard about how Target continues to support of PFLAG in an effort to help parents and allies learn more about how to support their GLBT children? Of course, then there’s the fact that Target sponsored the Out & Equal Workplace Conference to help create a more inclusive workplaces for all GLBT employees (one of a handful of gold sponsors that made the event possible). Then there’s the Reaching Out MBA Conference that helps GLBT MBA students network and make connections with potential employers – Target’s Platinum sponsorship helps make that event possible too. Maybe you’ve attended a Twin Cities Pride event and have seen Target’s presence as a key sponsor of the festival? And if those partnerships don’t speak to you, maybe the fact that Target has offered Domestic Partner Benefits to team members for years is something to consider? Or, the fact that the company has a GLBT Business Council with Executive Council sponsorship! Then there’s all of the volunteering that Target encourages team members to do at the local and national level related to GLBT causes. After all, HRC (according to their own rating system) gave Target a perfect score several years running because of all of this work and community support. But HRC was not alone. There are all of the different awards like the Corporate Achievement Award, Lavender Pride Award and Rainbow Families Award that Target has received for their support of the GLBT community and causes. The reality is this: Target supports equality for our community. It’s not because of any one-time donation or effort either; it’s because Target has a long-standing history of giving back to the GLBT community. Do we have a right to be disappointed that Target didn’t think about the broader impacts of the donation? Absolutely. But to imply that “Target doesn't support the GLBT community” is just absurd to me. Clearly, Target’s continual support of our community shines well beyond a single donation.

Culture
How '80's marketing killed computer science for women
Culture
"Free For All: Inside the Public Library" will make you turn off you laptop and grab your library card
Politics
New rules require colleges to report violence based on gender identity, expand protections for suvivors
Poll_balloon
Do you own your own business?

Trying to