Magazine_logo_black

Large_left_arrow Large_right_arrow

Tennessee preps for upcoming marriage equality conflict

By Jamie Rubenstein

After months of careful preparation by LGBT and human rights advocates, Tennessee is shaping up to become the nation’s newest marriage hot spot.

In a novel and methodical approach to the same-sex marriage rights issue, Marriage Equality Tennessee and the Human Rights Campaign have for weeks been signing up couples across the state to apply for marriage licenses at key counties. As expected, the licenses have been rejected by county officials, but the legal stage is being set for a future turnaround, say marriage equality advocates.

Meanwhile, LGBT leaders are organizing a series of six statewide rallies across the state on August 31, which they have declared to be Tennessee Marriage Equality Day. The opponents pushing their own agenda in the state legislature have countered with “Traditional Marriage Day,” also on August 31.

The executive director of Tennessee Marriage Equality, Chris Sanders, told 429Magazine that they have been using social media, including Facebook, to alert the public to the cause and is hoping for a sizeable turnout at the six rallies.

At least two hundred people are expected in the Public Square in Nashville, the state capitol. Other rallies on August 31 include: Shelby County Courthouse in Memphis; Tyson Park in Knoxville; Chattanooga City Hall, Phoenix Christian Church in Wildersville and, Putnam County Courthouse in Cookeville.

Marriage Equality has promised a festive atmosphere, including appearances by the Gay Men’s Chorus, ice cream treats and a picnic.

Sanders noted also that thirty-five couples originally expressed interest in filing licenses, “but that number was narrowed to four as couples thought through implications for their jobs and because of scheduling issues.”

The practicality of filing licenses “is very telling because it indicates that fear of job discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity is still a big issue in Tennessee where we have no protections, except in the case of individual employers that have inclusive policies.”

Sanders said TME prepared the couples who were willing to apply for what to bring to the county clerk’s offices and what would happen.

“Two couples in Shelby County, one couple in Davidson County in Nashville, and one couple in Lebanon in Wilson County all applied and their rejection was documented by local media,” he said in an interview with 429Magazine.

“We asked couples to apply for marriage licenses for two reasons: first, we wanted the refusals by the county clerks on record to add a class of plaintiffs to the upcoming legal challenge,” he continued. “Couples who have been married in marriage equality jurisdictions like Canada and New York would be another class of plaintiffs. Second, we knew it would generate more public discussion of the issue.”

Considering most of the media stories about marriage equality involve other states, “we wanted to bring the story home in hopes of gaining more acceptance as the couples who were refused told their stories,” he concluded.

“Many of the couples who considered applying for marriage licenses had to consider whether the publicity might threaten their jobs,” he said. “In the end, some couldn’t take the risk, which is exactly why we need movement on the federal Employment Non-Discrimination Act in September.”

The couples who decided to take the risk and go public with their desire to be legally married in Tennessee “have stood up for all of us by helping with the court challenge to Tennessee’s discriminatory constitutional marriage amendment and by increasing public awareness of the issue,” said Sanders.

429Magazine

Written By:
429magazine
429magazine
Tue, Aug 27, 2013
Comments
Comment by nilky12
3 months ago

I basically need to let you know that I am new to weblog and decidedly savored the experience of this online journal page. Lenovo Yoga Tab 3 Pro

3 months ago

I don't acknowledge what to say alongside that I have. I will begin another string on the issue. Keep up the noteworthy work. Citi Commercial

3 months ago

I truly do have trust in a large portion of the standards you've showed up for the post.your post is moreover truly fascinating and useful.. Jasa pembuatan web

3 months ago

All of you do an uncommon blog, and have some great substance. Continue doing amazing. I require you to thank for your season of this extraordinary read !!! disque dur externe rapide

3 months ago

Basically anticipated that would show you that you have individuals like me who regard your work. Unquestionably a brilliant post. buy cheap instagram followers

Comment by sirking79
3 months ago

Great post, you have pointed out some fantastic points , I likewise think this s a very wonderful website. vo genesis

3 months ago

The article has genuinely tops my inclination. I am going to bookmark your site and keep up taking a gander at for fresh of the plastic new information. http://www.gamesonpc.net

3 months ago

Excellent suggestions as well as clear.Your own article features importaciones your current diligent operate as well as practical knowledge you've got on this area. Acheter le Meilleur Appareil a Sandwich et Presse a Panini

3 months ago

I was unequivocally pursuing down. A commitment of gratefulness is all together for such post and please keep it up. FOTO88 Holdings Pte Ltd

3 months ago

igramlikes.com Besides, this is an unbelievably fortifying site.I think this is a useful post and it is to an extraordinary degree huge and competent. buy instagram followers cheap

3 months ago

Besides, I plan to investigate more posts like this later on. I have to not be disillusioned. Significantly reviving, mate ! office chair reviews

3 months ago

This is one of the best post I've seen all things considered. You're really great for this.the amazing you

3 months ago

I in all likelihood with respect to each and every bit of it. It is a psyche site and superior to anything average gift. en creme

Comment by sekka
2 months ago

they need or should succeed to reinforce needs of the group. I essentially need to let you know that I am new to weblog and obviously supported this site webpage page. new body miracle

Comment by sekka
2 months ago

I might need to thank you for the tries you had made for surrounding this splendid article. http://pixelgun3dhack.xphacks.com

Comment by sekka
2 months ago

You could issue it's heavenly. Your online diary evaluations may develop your supporters. Full Article

Comment by sekka
2 months ago

I am fundamentally fulfilled by your extraordinary work.You put genuinely obliging information. Keep it up. at here

about 1 month ago

I read few posts on this page and I feel that your web online journal is genuine intriguing and has got circles of incredible information. read reviews

about 1 month ago

Extraordinary work ! Every one of you do a brain blog, and have some phenomenal substance. Keep doing extraordinary. poker online indonesia

about 1 month ago

Making with style and getting phenomenal compliments on the article is out and out hard, to be honest. debt consolidation

about 1 month ago

This will be to an awesome degree beneficial for me when I get an opportunity to begin my web journal. 1tb m3 portable

about 1 month ago

I don't understand what has happened to the custom of going on solid phenomenal articles. scopri come dimagrire 10 kg

Comment by sekka
about 1 month ago

Would I be able to please get the name of that substance style ? I foreseen that would use it in my attempt now. nyquil dose

Comment by sekka
13 days ago

I was really gotten with the bit of purposes of interest you have here. Enormous thumbs up for making such mind blowing site page ! cute dresses

Culture
The Common Application updates its gender identity options
Politics
Colombian Constitutional Court legalizes gay marriage
Culture
Bullied teen dancer impresses Britain’s Got Talent judges with emotional performance
Poll_balloon
Do you own your own business?

Trying to